Grapevine Notes by Pastor Dale Parker
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in Me, and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from Me you can do nothing.” John 15:5
At Aldersgate Church, we believe in the Holy Spirit
– “We believe in the Holy Spirit who proceeds from and is one in being with the Father and the Son. He convinces the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment. He leads people through faithful response to the gospel into fellowship of the Church. He comforts, sustains and empowers the faithful and guides them into all truth.” (from the Book of Disciple of the UMC)
– The Holy Spirit gave life (Ps. 104:30; Job 33:4) to creation, gave order (Isa. 40:12; Job 26:13) to creation, gave adornment (Ps. 33:6, Job 26:13) to creation, and preservation (Ps.104:30) to creation.
– The Holy Spirit was active in the Old Testament: The Spirit was in certain people (Gen 41:38, Num 27:18, Dan. 4:8; 5:11-14; 16:3). The Spirit filled some people (Ex 31:3, 35:310. The Spirit enable people for service especially in the construction of the tabernacle (Ex 31:3).
– The Holy Spirit was active in the New Testament: The Spirit caused Christ’s conception in Mary’s womb (Lk 1:35). Christ was anointed by the Spirit (Lk 4:18; Acts 10:38). Present of the Holy Spirit at Christ’s baptism (John 1:32). Christ was filled with the Spirit (Lk 4:1). Christ was sealed with the Spirit (John 6:27). Christ was led by the Spirit (Lk 4:1). Christ was empowered by the Spirit (Matt 12:28). Christ was resurrected by the Holy Spirit (Ro 8:11). Jesus promised the Holy Spirit for every follower (Jn 14:15-17).
– The Holy Spirit in the life of a Christians. Christians are regenerated and born again (transformed) by the Spirit ( Titus 3:5, John 3:5). Christians received a new nature and attitude because of the Holy Spirit (2 Cor 5:17, Gal 5:22-24). Christians know what is right (righteous) and wrong (evil) through the Holy Spirit (John 16:8-9). Christians know truth by the Holy Spirit (John 16:13). Christians can see, hear, and know things of God because of the Holy Spirit (II Cor 2:8-11). Christian receive gifts/talent because of the Holy Spirit (I Cor 12:1-11). Christians are in unity through the baptism of the Holy Spirit ( I Cor 12:13). Holy Spirit will teach and remind followers what Jesus taught ( Jn 14:26).
– The illumination of the Holy Spirit provides divine visions, dreams, revelation, inspiration, and interpretations of God’s Word (2 Peter 1:20-21, Ezekiel 2:2, 2 Sam 23:2, Acts 1:16, 4:25, II Tim 3:16).